View Single Post
Old 05-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Fish View Post
Using a bottle jack, floor jack or any other device will also cause the other three tires to carry the load of the trailer, You can't help that. I imagine the mfg. co. thought of that scenario and included a spare tire for such times when you had to change a flat tire.

I have 4 ST225/75R15E tires rated at 2860#@80psi. I keep all tires at 80psi checked cold in the a.m. 3 tires x 2860# = 8,580#. Max. GVWR Cougar 22MLS = 7,200#. 3 tires can handle it with 1,380# to spare.
In addition to this ^^^ When the tire is "hanging free in the air" the other three tires are "carrying the entire trailer weight".. As soon as you put a jack under the tire (unlike when you pull up on the ramps/Trailer aid/etc) the jack is carrying the weight of that tire/axle position.

So, with a jack under the axle lifting that tire off the ground, the "other three tires" are NOT supporting all the weight. A percentage, close to what that tire position normally supports, depending on how high you jack the flat tire, is being supported by the jack, not the other three wheels.....

It's true, when you have a flat, the other three wheels carry the load, but as soon as you put a jack under the flat tire position and start to raise it to change the tire, the weight starts to return to that axle/wheel position.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote