View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 04:44 PM   #18
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
ya it's just a category based off the working voltage. its above 12V panels but below 48 volt commercial panels. its kinda like mains power in the US and Canada, they both work but one is 110V and in Canada we are 120V but both are 60hertz so we don't have a compatibility issue. they had to come up with a way to classify panels to make part selection easier so take my renogy, it says it will take 12v or 24V panels, you have the 60 amp so it probably lists 48V also. but mine also lists the maximum voltage input as Max. PV Input Voltage:100 VDC so now depending on which panels I use the open circuit voltage of those panels will tell me how many I can install.
Your 60amp controller can take a Max. PV Input Voltage:140VDC. so, for me I can install a second panel on mine which would give me a little over 80Vdc potential input. or I could have found a smaller panel that was under 33 VOC and installed 3. With two I have 650watts of solar you could install 3 of my panels and have 975 watts and be under the 140VDC. It's just a way of grouping panel types to make the initial design selection easier. The only way you will hit that VOC is if you have a condition where the system is not acceting power from the panel ie. broken wire, failed controler, batteries turned off so it can charge and so on. working voltage will be a lot lower as now you have flow so maybe it is based on the average working voltage at the rated wattage.
OK, this will be my last attempt to say there is no such thing as a “category 24v nominal panel” (your post #11, or “plus the output is never exactly 24 volt that’s just the classification” your post #15, or “ya it’s just a category based off the working voltage” your post #17. The information on the back of each panel is strictly controlled and nowhere will you find those terminologies posted on the panel manufacture’s website or on the back of a panel. You may find a search result on Amazon or eBay for “24 volt solar panel”, but that is nothing more than an attempt to help direct a buyer to a solar product. As for the 110 volt/120 volt comment of the difference in voltage in Canada versus the US, this is again just not true. The voltage standard is the same 120/240 volts (see the attachment) Canada supplies the northeast US with approx 35 feeds. The only difference is in some Canadian providences is motor voltage is provided at 600 volt three phase as opposed to 480 volt 3 phase used in the US. This is corrected by use of an onsite transformer that adjusts the power configuration desired by the facility receiving the electrical utility output. Canada has the same problem we have i.e. people still refer to their electricity as 110/220. Using the term “category 24 volt panels and 110/220 volts” may be what you like to use but it is not supported by fact. As the saying goes, “you have a right to your opinions but not to your facts”.

The rest of your quote leaves me dumbfounded. I have no idea what point you are trying to convey or how it is useful to the OP Drazul’s post #1.

[quote Your 60amp controller can take a Max. PV Input Voltage:140VDC. so, for me I can install a second panel on mine which would give me a little over 80Vdc potential input. or I could have found a smaller panel that was under 33 VOC and installed 3. With two I have 650watts of solar you could install 3 of my panels and have 975 watts and be under the 140VDC. It's just a way of grouping panel types to make the initial design selection easier. The only way you will hit that VOC is if you have a condition where the system is not acceting power from the panel ie. broken wire, failed controler, batteries turned off so it can charge and so on. working voltage will be a lot lower as now you have flow so maybe it is based on the average working voltage at the rated wattage.” End QUOTE]

Lastly your quote ” take my renogy, it says it will take 12v or 24V panels”. Perhaps you have a pic of that? Did you mean to say a Renogy solar controller’s OUTPUT may accommodate 12,24,36 or 48 volt battery configurations (depending on the controller model)? As stated earlier, solar panel manufacturers adhere to a strict standard of labeling. The information on the back of each solar panels conforms to that standard. No mention of a “24 voltage category” is found on any data sticker or data sheet. Panel selection starts with wattage, volts and amps. The rest is up to the installer to figure out. Please stop using “24 volt category”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	44021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	44022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3826.jpg
Views:	40