View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 07:22 AM   #17
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
So I get why one would be concerned about the voltage output for a single panel being used to provide maintenance for a 12 volt battery, but I see no usefulness in labeling a 34.2 Vmp panel a 24 volt panel. When installing my system 2 years ago I was concerned with how much current the 10 gauge wire would be carrying with 2 panels in series. The Renogy 60 moot controller was rated to handle 800 watts @ 12 volts and a maximum of 140 volts (VOC). I could have installed a 3rd panel in the series had the roof been able to accommodate it. I found no data from Rec that stated their panel was a “24 volt” (see the data sheet provided in a previous post).The panel manufacturer has no idea for what volt battery or system configuration it will be used. In my case the 2 280ah 12 volt LiPo4 batteries in parallel installation planning, didn’t require knowing a “category of 24 volts”.
ya it's just a category based off the working voltage. its above 12V panels but below 48 volt commercial panels. its kinda like mains power in the US and Canada, they both work but one is 110V and in Canada we are 120V but both are 60hertz so we don't have a compatibility issue. they had to come up with a way to classify panels to make part selection easier so take my renogy, it says it will take 12v or 24V panels, you have the 60 amp so it probably lists 48V also. but mine also lists the maximum voltage input as Max. PV Input Voltage:100 VDC so now depending on which panels I use the open circuit voltage of those panels will tell me how many I can install.
Your 60amp controller can take a Max. PV Input Voltage:140VDC. so, for me I can install a second panel on mine which would give me a little over 80Vdc potential input. or I could have found a smaller panel that was under 33 VOC and installed 3. With two I have 650watts of solar you could install 3 of my panels and have 975 watts and be under the 140VDC. It's just a way of grouping panel types to make the initial design selection easier. The only way you will hit that VOC is if you have a condition where the system is not acceting power from the panel ie. broken wire, failed controler, batteries turned off so it can charge and so on. working voltage will be a lot lower as now you have flow so maybe it is based on the average working voltage at the rated wattage.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote