View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 06:42 AM   #7
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals 123 View Post
Hello all, first off let me state CLEARLY that I have zero knowledge or skills when it comes to electrical systems. Having that out of the way, I have a question about Solar panels to charge batteries and run basic items in the RV.

I have a 2019 29RKS and it came with the Solar connection option. I camp often on a riverbank with no power available and I need to replace my generator so I thought I might explore the idea of Solar panel (s) as well. I was just at my dealer and they said that to install a decent solar system, I would be looking at $4-5K!!!

Any (simple) replies with ideas welcome - how to best proceed?

Thanks in advance,
Alan
The first thing we need to know before anyone can give you even remotely accurate advice is what do you normally use power-wise when you're camping and what you would like to use. If you don't use AC and just want to keep the DC lights, furnace and stuff like that going, it's easy and cheap. The only issue would be getting the panels and such mounted and the wires run. I would suggest a good mobile rv repair guy who doesn't care about who you bought the parts from and will do the installation on an hourly charge. it's still not cheap if you can't do it yourself, but a lot cheaper than what a dealer will charge you as they mark up the parts about 500% then have their labor on top of that.

to give you an example, I installed the system on my camper that just runs 12V systems and I never run out of power when camping, unless I go over 3 days with out sun in the fall when the furnace is running. that system has changed with more battery capacity now in the form of a self built 280AH LFP battery so the no light time is extended to 10 days now.

but that system consisted of a 200 buck 325 watt 24V split cell solar panel, a renogy wanderer 40amp MPPT solar controller (on sale now from renogy for 159.00) 20 bucks in extra wiring, 20 bucks for mounts for the panel. then two GC2 6V batteries (before I changed to LiFePO4 ) so if you buy your GC2 batteries at Costco that what 180 each so that's 800 bucks in parts (including the batteries) and probably 3 maybe 4 hours for a guy to install it so I would expect 1200 bucks all in if you can't install it yourself.

if you want to run AC loads then you have the added cost of a couple more batteries , a second panel an inverter and you will have to watch how much AC you use. my 5th wheel has 480 watts of solare and 4, 6v batteries with a 2000 watt inverter and we can use a kieurg to make coffee in the morning, and after supper. limited microwave use , let the kids watch a movie every night and be ok with the furnace running also, but that about it. a panel upgrade and controler upgrade is in the works for that because its a older 12V system.

so it all depends on how you want to use it. if all you used your genny before was to recharge the batteries then the first system would work if you have some sun where you camp.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote