View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 06:39 AM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
A dually being too long compared to a SRW is the part that makes no sense to me. Our 2009 F-350 CCLB SRW was longer than our 2016 CCLB SRW when I stuck a tape on them. The length is more a matter of year of truck than whether it is a DRW or a SRW.

But, length of garage? Yes, that is a matter for a home builder/ home buyer to ensure a garage is long enough for a CCLB truck. But, even our truck is only 266” (22’-2”) long, so fits in a 24’ long garage with a teensy tiny bit to spare. Now, the garages that are common for the cheap builders in our area? Yeah, can’t stuff a 22’ long truck in a garage that’s 21’-6” long.

But, both that and the my comment of “a great excuse for them to brag about what they can’t do” was directed only at the one who stated he has a long bed SRW truck in his garage but cannot fit a DRW in there. If it’s a matter of length and it not fitting, that makes no sense since the DRW is the same length as a SRW. A truck length is a truck length if comparing apples to apples for type of truck (whether LB, CC, SB, or single cab). Width? May make a difference, but, any garage that has a door 9’ wide will fit a DRW.

I would have loved to have kept our SRW. Easier to park, in garage or in some big city parking lots, easier to get in and out of the bed if I need to go over the side, easier to see the hitch from the side because I’m too short to see over the dually into the bed of the truck. But, it wasn’t in the plan apparently since we got a heavier camper than the door sticker would allow, legally. And, I will be the first to admit that when we had the Cougar I was totally underwhelmed by the dually and saw no difference in towing when compared to the SRW. With the heavier and taller Paradigm I feel a definite difference in towing, especially in 60 mph crosswinds in WY. That is where I understood/ was happy to have a dually.

Sorry I misunderstood your comment. I would love for a drw to fit better in my garage but it doesn't..it would definitely untie my hands on what I could own for an RV but.... I also hate that I didn't spec my garage larger when I built this house. I had the builder widen it 2' from the plans (should have been more) but did not extend it any much to my later dismay. I had a single cab lwb pickup at the time and didn't foresee anything larger as I had been told I would be gone in about a year and a half...now going on 34 years. A drw, cc, swb truck "might" squeeze into that space but I would never try because it would just be too tight for other things. My breaker box and all the controls for my watering systems are on the outside wall. I can currently open the door and barely, barely squeak by the rear corner of the truck to get to them with the truck inside currently. The extra width would prohibit that as I have an entire row of hitches, mudflaps, floor jacks, jack stands etc. along that wall as well. The extra width would push me into either moving all that or just not try to get along that wall.

I totally understand liking/wanting a drw. I also understand they "can" go into a garage but the garage itself is a prime consideration which then makes each circumstance basically a standalone situation. Now, I truly, truly wish I had built a garage like DD's. The architect that built her house for himself prior to her purchase had the right idea. It's in FL and was built to withstand a hurricane so the construction is unbelievably robust. When you pull a truck into a stall there is enough room on either side for another vehicle and the length leaves enough room for 2 vehicles to park end to end (almost) - and that's with shelving and work benches along the back and side walls. Alas she has it and I don't...and I'm not moving to FL. We have however discussed building a large building on our property next door but property restrictions make it a bit onerous - it has to be brick (substantial cost) which we're not sure we want to do. Until then I am going to park a SWB, SRW, CC truck in that space and others can park their DRWs in their garages and we'll all be happy...well, almost in my case.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote