View Single Post
Old 05-12-2023, 05:53 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You started your post with, "a 1 owner fleet truck" and somewhere around the middle, you stated, "Our thought was to get a F250 to pull our Bullet 220RBI for now but looking into the future a half-ton 5th"

I didn't see any comments about the load capabilities of the "fleet truck" or even if it was a HD truck or maybe a half ton fleet truck"...

As for F250's, some older ones (2011-2016 or so) with diesel engines AND luxury trim level options, can have a payload within a couple hundred pounds of a "typical half ton from any manufacturer"... It's not uncommon to find a diesel F250 Lariat or King Ranch with a payload capacity of 2000 pounds or close to that. Now, if your "fleet truck or the F250 is a gas engine truck, you'll get roughly 800 pounds increased payload over the diesel, so you do get breathing room with a gas engine vs a diesel powered truck.

When looking at a F250 for towing a fifth wheel, even a "half ton fifth wheel", many simply do not have the payload to accommodate that kind of trailer pin weight....

So, what are the specs on that "fleet truck" and what kind of "F250 to tow a future half ton 5th" are you wanting to fill both needs ????

As is often said on here, if you're looking at a 3/4 ton diesel, you'd be much better off skipping up to the 1 ton (same size, same ride, much improved payload) if a fifth wheel is in your future....

I've got a 30' Cougar XLite fifth wheel and EVERY (did I mention EVERY) trip is a hassle, trying to keep the pin weight under the truck payload.... If I'd have known in 2014 when I bought this truck what I know today, I'd have bought the F350 sitting next to it instead... Same negotiated price, same equipment, same color but 1200 pounds more payload and I could have skipped all the BS I've gone through with DW who simply doesn't understand why we can't take 6 lawn chairs and 2 patio mats in case we have guests that she wants to invite over for an evening.....

This is "not really about a high mileage fleet truck purchase" but rather, IMO, a beginning requirement for any truck purchase.... And IMO, a diesel F250 isn't equipped to tow a fifth wheel.....

Let the arrows begin to fly......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote