View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM   #11
firestation12

I had the same wear pattern a you did….well not quite as bad, but I did the following: first I wanted to stabilize the Darco material. This was done by applying a 2 part epoxy with a putty knife to the frayed area then using a jack to apply pressure to a plywood strip covered with Sara wrap. After curing overnight, the plywood cover with Saran Wrap easily released from the epoxy leaving a smooth surface to apply the UHMW. I chose a 3/16” thick piece of UHMW for the repair. This was obtained from eBay. Looking at the underside of the slide, I noticed that only the outer 6” of the slide’s edge came into contact with the wear bar. There is no point to covering the entire underside of the slide, when only a portion is needed. As described in the previously posted video, the UHMW was installed. As I recall, the length/width was around 33” X 6”. The UHMW doesn’t need to extend to the outer edge of the slide out. Using a floor jack to lift the slide out a 1/4” will allow the UHMW’s tapered edge to be installed snug to the wear bar. The 3/16” thickness did not cause interference with the slideout’s roof during the retraction. If you are handy, I’d trust yourself to do the repair, someone else may not take the time or make the effort to do it right.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote