View Single Post
Old 04-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #5
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Although i still can't figure out why it worked sporadically with a blown fuse?
Your fuse issue peaked my interest. We have a '23 Cougar. A number of weeks ago we were in Stone Mountain minding our own business one evening, checking the local weather on the tv and suddenly the couch/fridge slide lights went out and a couple others also proved bad as I began to troubleshoot things. At first I thought the dimmer switch had gone bad, but that wouldn't make the other lights go out/not work as well, the dimmer is only for the lights above the couch. I went to the fuse/breaker panel and I could see through the smoked plastic window that sure enough one 15amp fuse was blown according to the lit indicator. I opened the panel door and the lights came on, as well the blown fuse indicator went out. Lose fuse contact was the culprit. Slight movement of the trailer or a fuse contact getting warm from a poor connection and it failed out of the blue. I removed and replaced the fuse, all lights came back on. I tried to wiggle the fuse a bit to see if I could get it to fail again but it wouldn't. Since then I used a small pair of needle nose pliers and gently squeezed each of the fuse contacts (with fuse removed) to make sure they had a tight contact when I replaced each fuse.

This failure didn't really surprise me. I've been in the electronic manufacturing industry for 30+ years and I've seen the same component come from the manufacturer/vendor with a gap too wide. Something in the manufacturing and forming of the fuse holder didn't get done quite right. For that matter, I had to torque down nearly every contact on both the 12V and 120V sides of the panel after I took delivery. They were snug at best. Some of the strands from the stripped wires of both sides were also falling out of the contact points - not good. That would be a short for sure!