Thread: Airbags
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 03:35 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
well, since all I've done is tow it home from the dealer Im just looking at my options at the moment. Sag is a small factor as I don't want to blind people and I was to be able to actually light up the road and not the sky.

But Alaska is my main concern. I'll be pretty heavy in both the truck and the trailer as I need to pack for a month+ as well as all the other stuff I would want. I did post about packing and I was basically told to quit worrying and I was overthinking things.

It currently sits just a bit nose high. Not much though. I probably need to get it hooked up and take measurements. When I took it home I asked if I should drop the common flange a notch or to as it was currently on the top holes and the service guy said to leave it.
As for the springs, I am considering installing the next heavier spring pack in anticipation for rough roads.

I choose the 7500 because that's what Airlift recommended.

You only have 1440lbs. of payload on that trailer....not much for a 40' trailer. It will be easy, extremely easy, to overload it trying to pack for a long trip. From experience I can tell you you won't need as much as you think you will....unless it's food and outdoor cookers. As far as "not worrying about it" on weights I would differ. You REALLY want your weights to be right and not overloaded if trekking across Alaska. Your axles and springs are marginal (IMO) anyway and to put them at max, even on a smooth straigh road, is not a good idea. Going up to the next level of spring pack (3500lbs) does you no good. You have 6k axles. All you do is transfer the weak point from the springs to the axles - I would rather a spring break than an axle. Your trailer design is going to overload the curb side I'm afraid so keep that in mind.

What kind of clearance do you have between the bottom front of the 5th wheel and your bedrails? I like at least 6" front to back, others will have their thoughts. You may be able to drop your hitch to get the trailer level but you would have to see how that plays with the other clearances.

Load your stuff early on, everything. Make that trip to the scales so you can start getting things tuned in and shed weight if you need to. Watch that curb side. The place to leave out things is at home before you go and not on the side of the road.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote