View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 07:30 AM   #9
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
you should never ever use a magic eraser on gelcoat or anything that has a painted surface with a gloss finish like a car or boat ,rv…it’s too abrasive,( unless it’s really far gone) i’ve seen it dull a gelcoat on a boat and make it near impossible to bring to a high gloss finish again after someone tried to remove water stains from the hull…as new as your trailer is you should have been able to bring it back with a good mild cleaner wax…always start mild and if that doesn’t work you can go with a little more abrasive…if you go the other way it’s too late.
the gel coat is so thin on these trailers it doesn’t take much to mess it up
may want to pay a detail guy or gal ( one that deals with fiberglass boats and rvs )to just do the front cap…they know what to do
Thanks, and noted for the future. I was looking at the trailer with the light hitting it from different angles yesterday and I think the surface finish looks Ok where I used the magic eraser, but I won't do it again.

You referred to my cap as having a "gel coat" a couple of times. Is it in fact gel coat? Or is it just painted fiberglass? At one point previously I was researching some cleaning/waxing information, and it seemed like those needed to be cared for in different ways. So I've been wondering what exactly that is on the front of my trailer...
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote