View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 06:25 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another$pit View Post
Hello All,
New to the boards, just introduced myself in the newcomer check in thread. Anyways just bought my first entry level travel trailer, a used 2021 Keystone Springdale 1750RD. Yep, the dealer didn't tell me it had a leak, and doesn't care. Oh well, that's whatever...Looking from the top of a ladder, I can see where it's probably coming from, but I'm concerned about getting up there to assess the issue. I'm thinking of putting a couple small pieces of plywood up there to distribute my weight more evenly, and of course be very careful. It seems that you should be able to get up there now and then for general maintenance/inspection? Any thoughts?
Thanks, Gary
Gary,

First, welcome....

Now, what is "walkable" for a 150 pound person may be "utterly and completely" unwalkable for a 400 pounder... So, the term "walkable roof" is not an all inclusive term.... I weigh 175 in the summer/fall and tend to increase 15 or so pounds in the winter. Even at 190 or so, there are some "walkable roofs" that I won't attempt to climb on without a couple of 2'x2'x2" rigid foam (pink sheets from HD or Lowe's) to spread my weight more evenly. When on a roof using those foam blocks, remember that when you kneel, your foot is no longer the "heavy part" so shift the foam to your knee if kneeling or to your butt if sitting..... Yep, those two "boney buttons" when you sit down deserve to be considered (if you're a skinny soul) but may have sufficient padding to ignore any "weight spreading requirements" if you're sufficiently on the upper end of making walkable roofs become "no way I'm getting up there" roofs.....

That said, according to the 2021 Springdale brochure (you can download it at the Keystone website by scrolling to the bottom of their home page and selecting "BROCHURE ARCHIVE") the Springdale travel trailers, fifth wheels and toyhaulers do have a walkable roof, but the single axle units do not have a walkable roof. Here's a part from the Springdale brochure:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walkable roof.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	43304  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote