Thread: Truck Brands
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #34
Badbart56

I don't know that anyone could answer why one outsells another in a particular region but the employee discount remark probably holds a lot of truth. Let me first state, growing up and being into performance cars my go to brand(s) was Dodge and Chevrolets. After all the performance went away in the 80's every choice was relegated to a decal package until they got a handle on electronic fuel injection and learned what they could do with computers to both make power AND reduce emissions.

But going away from that, still, the same principle holds for performance in trucks today. Fuel delivery and computers. Something I have observed in the past 30 or so years though, is that commercially I see more Dodge Rams used in Hotshot service followed by Fords, and this is a diesel market. I believe part of the reason Chevrolet comes in last is that more Chevrolet (3/4 and 1 tons) are gas powered by comparison to Dodge and Ford. I don't have stats on the ratios sold per brand (that would be interesting) but it seems the Dodge and Ford buyers are leaning more toward the diesel option, whether the trucks are used commercially or not.

My preference still, today is GM for gas performance engines and I love my CTS V with it's LS-6 engine. It seems GM often under-rates the power numbers and while mine is rated at 400 horsepower, the dyno numbers show 377 hp at the wheels, which indicate numbers closer to the 450 hp range.

But for trucks I'm a fan of the diesel power plants and while Dodge has always done well with the Cummins, Ford has always impressed me with the solidly built trucks and now that they make their own diesel engines in house, they are my first choice. And that's coming from my old 97 7.3 to the 6.7 I have now. Worlds of difference.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote