Thread: Rv map app??
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Bottom line to me is this, GPS, APP, or map, they are all AIDS to navigation. As for information overload, yes it can happen. That's what led to the development of the HUD (heads up display) for fighter jets. During the Vietnam War the pilots were suffering from information overload and having negative effects on their performance.

Every aid has it's advantages and disadvantages. For me personally I think paper maps are the most disadvantaged due to the lag time in the information. The roads may be replaced or closed or restrictions applied between the time the information is gathered, assembled, printed, and distributed. Pilots used charts (maps) but before taking off you check the NOTAMs (notice to airmen) for changes/updates, etc.

An app like Google maps may get updated more frequently but is only useful where cell service is present and stable enough to connect to the internet, and then what if you are monitoring your tire pressure, navigating, streaming music, talking on the phone, ...

The GPS is my go to. I find it accurate enough, and I download updates before a trip as well as update POI's (points of interest) from Poi-factory.com. It will not only warn me of red-light cameras, speed cameras, and popular speed traps ($25/yr. subscription required) but for no charge I can download all sorts of other Poi's like state parks, dump stations, restaurants, fuels stations, etc. This is my preference, to each their own.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote