View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 04:34 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well not sure what is more relevant, the pin weight percentage or the ridiculous low payload of a almost 40’ 5er of 2,133#!
I will state the OP will not be aware that they may be exceeding their payload! We towed 1,500# to 1,700# over the GVWR of our 2001 Ram 2500. It tow fine and handled fine, I just didn’t like the legal limbo that being that far over GVWR. Still within both axle ratings, but was uncomfortable being that far over. The 3.55 rear end with a 5 speed manual, not great for off the line!
This is the biggest issue with trying to lead people to get the correctly sized TV for their 5er, as the towing experience won’t likely tell them!
I agree, the biggest "plus" for fivers ( handling) is what can end up bitting the unaware. With a travel trailer control issues will appear quickly but a fiver often gives a false sense of "everything is great" until it isn't, and then it may be too late to recover. It's sorta like seeing the inexperienced 4 wd owners when it snows. They tend to be overconfident and end up being the ones needing rescue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote