Thread: Rv map app??
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 05:20 AM   #9
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I also just use Google maps but, I try and check with state DOTs websites to see if there is anything I need to be aware of. Does anyone use RV Trip Wizard? Curious if it is any good.

Can't really speak to the navigation aspect of RVTW but we like it for planning purposes as it will identify campgrounds and other POIs between points A and B, including gas stops and so on. It's nice to be able to drill down and see how a campground/resort is rated, the amenities etc. right from the map. Once I find a CG I like I will usually just click the link, bring it up in a new window and book it from there...nice and convenient. You can indicate your trip start date and length of stay for each stop and you have a running timeline for the trip. You can also indicate a range of minimum/maximum daily travel in miles or hours and it will draw boundary lines for these areas on the map to give you an idea of where to stop for the day. If you enter your TV's average MPG and tank size, it will also place low fuel warning icons on the map.

Although it obviously has to lay out a route for you, we don't use it for the actual navigation, which I believe is done through the RV Life companion app. Like most others we stick with Garmin, Google and Waze (for the 'object on road ahead, disabled auto ahead etc. messages). We usually run all three concurrently. On a side note, with regard to navigating with/from the RVTW route, I believe you can also export the navigation file to Google maps or a Garmin as well, although I haven't tried it yet.

Overall, I like it a lot when laying out a multi stop trip. If nothing else, it's definitely worth a free trial look IMO.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote