View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I live in a development that was built by several different builders so there's a mix of designs. All the houses have attached garages with the vast majority 2 car garages. Very, very few homes use the garage to park their vehicles in, at least not their daily drivers. I think it's likely a common theme in most suburbs and not a priority for the automakers. Again just a guess, no hard facts to back up, JMHO.

I think it varies by city and neighborhood. I've lived places where no one used the garage for cars. I've lived in houses where I used the garage (double) for storage, work area, ping pong tables etc. Where I live now no one leaves a car out except the fire chief who leaves his fire dept. pickup outside. When I built this house I knew I wanted a larger garage so told the builder to expand it. Did not think about the doors as my 1/2 ton, long bed, single cab fit fine within those dimensions. Never thought I'd have a 1 ton but at least it squeaks by the top of the door to get in (7'). The other concern I had/have is the garage door openers as they are at just about 7' as well. With pecan trees all over the property and the leaky, gooey mess they drop every year I'd never park outside again while here. That stuff turns into solid plastic like drops if left to harden. I do think that truck manufacturers don't concern themselves with garage door dimensions when building a HD truck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote