Thread: Which Truck
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Let's do a little math and see what comes up....

Most diesel trucks towing that type/size trailer will average about 11 MPG.
Most gas trucks towing that trailer will average around 8.5 MPG (maybe a tad more)...

So towing/driving the new truck 10K miles a year, the diesel would use 909 gallons of fuel and the gas truck would use 1176 gallons of gas.

So, the gas truck would use around 267 gallons more. At around $3.50 per gallon, that's an annual added cost of $934 for each 10,000 miles.

So, if the cost of operating both trucks was similar, towing performance is acceptable to you for either rig, and all other maintenance/repair costs are considered equal, it would take you roughly 9.6 years to absorb the increased cost of the diesel.

Considering that most people finance a truck for 60 months, you'll be financing around $9,000 less, lower payments, less interest and probably less taxes as well.

So, if you're OK with the performance of the gas truck and don't need a diesel, you'll have significantly more payload capacity with the gas engine, and not have as much "fretting about being overloaded"..... Now, if you look at 1 ton trucks, that payload issue with a 3/4 ton diesel is a mute point....

We bought our 3/4 ton diesel at a time when the 1 ton models were too tall to fit in our garage. Given the hassles that I've had trying to stay under my GVWR, at this point, if I do buy a new truck, it'll be a 1 ton and I'll rebuild the garage doors if I have to. I won't buy a new 3/4 ton diesel and continue this BS of always towing "at or almost at GVWR"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote