View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The big reduction in the noisy diesels was the introduction of the common rail and electronic injectors. They went from the Big Bang single injection of fuel, to a multi pulse fuel injection. It also allowed for production of more power our 2016 HO Aisin has 385 HP and 900# torque, the 2021 has 420 HP and 1,075# torque. I have seen where GM Dmax is going to be over 500 HP.
If you park a new Ford diesel next to a new RAM or GM diesel and start them with the hood open, you'll immediately notice a significant difference in noise while standing in front of the engine. The way Ford "insulated against noise" in the 6.7L was to put the exhaust manifold on top of the engine and the intake manifolds on the side. Essentially they swapped location of the intake/exhaust manifolds. What that did was twofold. First, it put the bulk of the engine between the "noise" and the outside, and then, it significantly shortened the "tubing for the turbo" by putting the exhaust "right next to the turbo and the intake manifolds "inline with the turbo".

With the exhaust manifolds on the side, the exhaust has to be routed "up to the turbo then down to the catalytic converter". By making that a "straight run from the cylinders through the turbo to the catalytic converter, the turbo spools faster and the plumbing run is simplified. (That's what Ford says happens)...

For me, and most newer Ford owners, we can tell when we're standing in front of our truck while it's running and there's a significant difference in the other two brands... It's a noticeable difference, not one you have to "try hard to find".

If you haven't yet asked a new Ford owner to start his truck, do so the next time you have a chance. You'll question if it's really a diesel under the hood. Then open the hood on his truck while it's running and then walk over and open the hood on your truck. You'll see what I'm talking about.

To some people, it doesn't matter, to others, they may prefer the "clatter and increased noise". For me, I prefer being able to start the truck in the garage, get out, walk over to the workbench, get my gloves and then get back in the truck without feeling the need to shut the truck off or grab earplugs for the trip. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote