View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
LOL, while never had the black smoke with the 2001 Ram CTD, had the common early diesel mechanical injector and pump issue! Yes, sounded like a tin can with a bunch of bolts rattling around in it. We lived in a townhouse before retirement, and when the outside temperature was below 40 degrees I would plug in the block heater so it would be a bit quieter on startup.
The 2016 Ram is much quieter at startup and any other time.
When we bought our 2015, we were trading in a 2013 6.2l gas truck. We parked in the dealership front lot, walked inside, the salesman greeted us and invited us to walk out and "take a look at our new truck"... We walked out, he handed me the keys and I sat in the driver's seat, started the truck and shut it off, opened the hood to make sure it was a diesel. It was "that much quieter than my previous 1999 and 2005 diesels. I was shocked (pleasantly pleased) that it was so quiet, but I had to verify it was "really a diesel" just to be sure Ford hadn't installed the wrong emblems on the doors... It actually made less noise than the gas truck we drove to the dealership.

Now, with almost 70K on the truck, I can start it up and get out of the truck, open the hood and still carry on a "normal level conversation" with the engine running. I could never imagine that with my 7.3 or 6.0 engines.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote