View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #14
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Buy it, install a dump bed and go make money.
BTY, there is a dealership in Oregon that sells lots of pickups beds from newer pickups. I asked the owner once why?. He goes to Alaska every year and buys the beds they took off pickups going to the pipe line. All colors and nearly new new.
Sorry, didn't read all the posts, but this one struck a cord with me.

I would be VERY leery of putting a pickup box on a cab/chassis.

I was a service manager at a Chevy/Pontiac dealership back in the late 70's early 80's and the general manager got a great deal on a cab/chassis for a friend. He told him that we had an as new dually box that we took off of a sister John Deere dealership delivery that was made into a flat bed. Look good in theory, but the rear wheel track is different on a cab/chassis than on a 1 ton dually with factory box. We ended up swapping complete rearends to get the job done. As I remember the cab/chassis rearend is narrower than a 1 ton dually with factory box.

I know lots of guys strip off a box to make their welding beds, but just be fore warned that they may not fit the other way around. Take LOTS of measurements first. Things may be different now, but I would still be very careful before purchasing with that purpose in mind.

I think there was/is a company called Western Hauler that makes larger trucks into gooseneck/fifth wheel haulers with adding short custom beds on cab/chassis trucks.
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote