View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #36
pablopwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Estimating hitch/pin weight with a 5th wheel toyhauler gets interesting. You may find significant differences in pin weight based on having your toys loaded vs an empty garage. Remember, the trailer has to be designed to be safely towed with the garage either empty or full. The garage in our Raptor has a 3000 lb. weight limit sticker (which is silly because the entire trailer payload/carrying capacity is 3,160).

Here's some real numbers from our rig.
2018 Raptor 353TS
GVWR 17,000
Advertised shipping weight 13894
Advertised carry capacity 3106
Advertised hitch weight 3200

I've never weighed the rig empty - but I've weighed it several times when loaded to the gills. The actual pin weight when I am loaded with my Can Am Maverick Sport XRC SxS is 2840. I don't know how heavy the Can Am is, but when it is in the garage it takes almost 400 lbs OFF of the advertised pin weight. This, of course, reduces the pin load on the tow vehicle when the toy is loaded.

My point: If your DRW has over 5K in payload, I suspect you would be fine. We LOVE our Raptor and DRW F350. It pulls like a dream and is super stable. We've also previously owned an F450. I liked the short turning radius, but I sure didn't like the insurance payments. In Arizona, my insurance company required me to insure it as a commercial vehicle. The newer F350 actually has more payload. I am sure you will love a DRW with that big trailer; either would work.

Best of luck.
Interesting! I was having a hell of a time finding any kind of math for how rear load in the garage translated at the pin. I know Toy Haulers are built with that use case in mind, but couldn't find many threads with tangible numbers or how that affected chucking/porpoising at the hitch. Thanks for this info!

I don't think we will be putting heavy toys in the rear (at least in the beginning of ownership). The washer/dryer combo will only add 300# to the rear so I don't imagine I will see that translate to much lightening at the pin. But it's also nice to know that boondocking with full fresh tanks and a Razr in the rear won't make my pin weight go crazy (my wife want's one really badly).
pablopwnage is offline   Reply With Quote