View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #33
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablopwnage View Post
Yeah, this is definitely one of the big reasons for me. Even though I am "under payload" with a minimally loaded rig (propane, no water, no toys in the garage, wife and 1yo daughter, B&W companion 25k in bed), it only leaves me with like ~150 lbs of breathing room which doesn't feel like a lot.

Knowing that the truck is going to be more stable, resist crosswinds, not get upset by air vacuums generated from large vehicles coming from the opposite direction makes me feel like I am going to enjoy the towing experience more. Which is the whole reason my family is getting the 5er in the first place.
Estimating hitch/pin weight with a 5th wheel toyhauler gets interesting. You may find significant differences in pin weight based on having your toys loaded vs an empty garage. Remember, the trailer has to be designed to be safely towed with the garage either empty or full. The garage in our Raptor has a 3000 lb. weight limit sticker (which is silly because the entire trailer payload/carrying capacity is 3,160).

Here's some real numbers from our rig.
2018 Raptor 353TS
GVWR 17,000
Advertised shipping weight 13894
Advertised carry capacity 3106
Advertised hitch weight 3200

I've never weighed the rig empty - but I've weighed it several times when loaded to the gills. The actual pin weight when I am loaded with my Can Am Maverick Sport XRC SxS is 2840. I don't know how heavy the Can Am is, but when it is in the garage it takes almost 400 lbs OFF of the advertised pin weight. This, of course, reduces the pin load on the tow vehicle when the toy is loaded.

My point: If your DRW has over 5K in payload, I suspect you would be fine. We LOVE our Raptor and DRW F350. It pulls like a dream and is super stable. We've also previously owned an F450. I liked the short turning radius, but I sure didn't like the insurance payments. In Arizona, my insurance company required me to insure it as a commercial vehicle. The newer F350 actually has more payload. I am sure you will love a DRW with that big trailer; either would work.

Best of luck.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote