View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
Hi John,

I believe in the case of the Discovery the reason for the recommendation to not use a WD hitch is the software built into the air suspension makes adjustments to stability already; not because it is a uni-body.
Any WD hitch is likely to cause damage to the air suspension and cause the stability software to make incorrect adjustments because it is not calibrated for any WD hitch you might use.

I am not trying to argue the Discovery is suitable, but hopefully shedding some light on why it is stated.
My father-in-law owns an F150 and his model is not far off the towing capability of the Discovery. That surprised me.

I find your post sort of interesting. Virtually every unibody SUV manufacturer (small/midsize) precludes the use of a weight distribution hitch. It's not because of an air suspension, it's because a unibody cannot withstand the stress that a wdh will put on that type of body construction. Been that way for as long as I can remember. I would never argue about the towing abilities of a Disco either....they can't.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote