View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
Thanks Gegrad. I've been looking at replacing my Touareg with an Audi Q7 or LR Discovery, but have been open to other SUV-based options if they were going to work.

I've been looking at smaller hybrid TTs, as most of them are shorter and not as heavy.
This is a quote from the 2020 Audi Q7 owner's manual:

"Never mount a "weight-distributing" or "load-balancing" trailer coupler as the trailer hitch. The vehicle was not designed for these types of trailer hitches. The trailer hitch can malfunction and the trailer can break off from the vehicle. — If the trailer is equipped with electronic brakes, these brakes cannot be activated by a factory-installed control system, which in- creases the risk of an accident. —To reduce the risk of injury, always remove the ball hitch mount if no trailer is mounted."

This is a quote from the 2020 Land Rover Discovery owner's manual:

"CAUTION
The use of weight distribution hitches is not recommended. Using weight distribution hitches can potentially cause serious damage to the vehicle."

I'm not trying to "rain on your parade" but would urge you to do your research before determine what you want to buy. Most "uni-body vehicles" are not suitable for use with a weight distribution hitch, which is a requirement for nearly every trailer with a tongue weight greater than 400-500 pounds. If you can't use a WD hitch with the vehicle, then you can't tow a large trailer (over about 3500-4000 pounds) with that vehicle.

Most "trailer towing specifications" advertised in SUV or truck brochures use an "artificial trailer specification" which is a flatbed trailer with the weight "carefully adjusted over the axles to obtain a perfect tongue weight"... You'll NEVER find a travel trailer that mirrors that kind of tongue weight to trailer weight calculation. What you will find is a big square box with a heavy tongue that gets heavier when you add batteries and propane tanks and even heavier when you fill the fresh water tank and add clothing, camping supplies and food.

So, the "ideal world of trailer specifications" is not realistic and you won't find a travel trailer that matches the Audi or Discovery trailer specs.

But even more important than a few pounds is the initial "DO NOT USE A SPECIFIC (required) HITCH.... If that's in the manual, that vehicle is out of the potentials for RV towing, right from the start. Those vehicles may be "perfectly suited for towing a carefully balanced utility trailer or boat trailer, but not an RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote