View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #36
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Sorry if you were confused...it was not intented to suggest you need a cdl for private rv travel
I was pointing out that I was over my vehicles gvwr pulling my fifth wheel. I argued for months that I would be fine and figured if I was ever in an accident or if I was weighed on the side of the road ( I realize highly unlikely ) that I may just get a warning and sent on my way.
This video showed me how an interaction with a dot officer or state police or any entity with a reason to weigh me could go.
I was not implying cdl or commercial laws could apply to recreational rv’s
Although I do understand some states( California) do treat big rigs differently...and over 26000 lbs I believe does put you into cdl territory but most rigs would never see that. But don’t hold me to that. I don’t feel like arguing that point for three more pages of posts lol
A point... the 26,000 pound mark in most states including Texas is based on the registered GVWR of both the trailer and the truck... for the GCWR.

That 14,000 pound GVWR Dually will leave you a GVWR of 12,001 pounds for the trailer to flip the switch on a Class A driver's license in Texas.. it is not a commercial DL but is not a Class C or standard license.