View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #40
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post

Only way a 2500 with 10,000 GVWR would have that much pay load is with a gas engine.

My 2015 3500 CTD 4x4 Aisin SB SRW Laramie W/O sun roof has Max Payload of 3664. GVWR is 11,700.
The pay load and towing capacity rating is somewhat misleading when you're comparing gas to diesel. Yes, these trucks can and will carry/pull these loads. By legal definition. But as far as comparing the performance between the gas vs diesel trucks carrying/pulling the same load, that's where the rubber meets the road.

If you've not actually towed with a diesel you might understand the concept of how the diesel performs, but until you feel the "seat of the pants" pulling that they can do so effortlessly, it's apples and oranges. While the gas version can support the weight, moving it is quite a different undertaking. The two trucks are not equal. Ever see a gas powered truck at a truck pulling competition? Even in the stock class?

The last gas truck I owned was a Chevy 2500 with a 5.7 and 5 speed stick. I towed a gooseneck trailer with a Massey Ferguson tractor with implements. Weighed about 11000 pounds. It sounded like I was gonna blow up the motor when I pulled up the hills. A friend of mine talked me into buying a 98 Chevy 2500 with the 6.5 TD and automatic transmission. Now first, the 6.5 was never a motor to brag about. But the difference in towing was SOOOO much different. The engine wasn't screaming. But it moved the load with much less fuss than the 5.7 did. With only 195 HP. It taught me about torque. That truck has over 300K miles on it and still sees farm duty today.

Granted, not everyone needs a diesel. Actually many of todays diesel trucks are merely a status symbol. Some are just daily drivers that have never pulled a load or even had anything loaded in the bed. Concrete Cowboys. And that's ok too. It's about a $9000 option. Not really a lot when your talking about $50-$70K trucks. If you have to wonder if you need one, you probably need one. And get the 3500/350 too while you're at it.

Or. stay with the gas if the diesel scares you. This is still America. We can do what we want. At least for now. Have a great weekend!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote