Thread: Air Bags leak
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with what John has stated. I think we all become complacent with the things we use regularly. Somewhere I heard that "Electricity can kill you" but I use it all the time without issue. All big box stores sell light switches and receptacles so it must be safe for me to replace it. Never mind that I've never held a screwdriver, have no idea what those "switches" in the box labeled "electrical distribution panel" are for.

Somewhere I heard that mixing ammonia and bleach together may be a problem but hay, if one cleans well then why not mix it and use both to clean better right? You'll be making chloramine gas that can destroy your lungs and even be deadly.

Trucks I believe fall into this category. We use them every day and are just amazed at what they haul compared to that car or crossover you had before. Just look how big that thing is! Someone buys a 1/2 ton truck and pulls a pop up and they "feel" like they are king of the road and can pull a mountain in their "great bis truck". They get or want a larger trailer and move up to a 3/4 ton and "vroom" vroom" joining the "big boy's" and get a diesel. NOW your in the major leagues and the salesman tells you "you can pull anything on the lot" and the misunderstanding/lack of information is perpetuated.

You believe the salesman after all he's the "expert" right? You WANT to believe him because you want the big shiney new camper right? Asking an RV salesman what you can tow is like walking into Best Buy and asking a salesman what the best tv is. He's going to tell you the one you want is the 80" whatever that they have the most of in the backroom that the sales manger said "we have to move these out the door by Friday" during the pre open meeting. Never mind you'll be setting 5 feet away go blind trying to watch it.

So why do we end up at the weight discussion? Because we care. That's right, we've been in the situation, we know the pitfalls, and we have absolutely no motivation other than that. It's asked in a respectful way because we don't know if you know or not. You stated "probably overweight" so obviously you suspect but you don'r KNOW.

It's the type of people most of us here are. We like to help, relay our learnings and experience. I'll try and explain it this way. If I walk outside and my neighbor is working on his car and asks me if I know how to replace the front struts. I look and see that he has the car jacked up on the little scissors jack that he found in the trunk. I also note that he doesn't have the wheels chocked in any manner. On the ground he's got a screwdriver and a pair of slip joint pliers and a hammer. Do I tell him, yes, remove the top and bottom bolts and walk away thinking to myself "he's going to kill himself" because I don't want to challenge his sensibilities? Sorry, I'm not that kind of person.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote