View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #31
Scooter1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thought I would post my assessment of the first trip with the new 3500 pulling the new trailer. Figured I would make a post about the TV and another about the RV itself.

As far as the Ram; 2019 3500, 5k miles now, 6.4L, 4x4, SWB/CC, 4.10, 8 speed Laramie.

This truck replaced a 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn, 6.4L, 3.73, SWB/CC, 6 speed.

The trailer behind the 2014 had a gvw of 10k and scaled 92-9300 generally. The 14 pulled it well but the 6 speed does limit things along with the 3.73. All in all I was very happy with it. Knew we wanted a new trailer, we both said we never wanted a 5th wheel, and the new trailer had to have a gvw of no more than 12k or so. Well we missed that mark after DW determined she HAD to have a washer and dryer.

New trailer has a gvw of 14,500. Unloaded was 11,500. I have not scaled yet but comparing what we had in the last trailer and what we transferred I would estimate a tow weight currently around 13k, maybe a bit less - I'll know when I get back.

When I bought the new 3500 I never dreamed of a 14.5k full profile 5th wheel (I've stated the reason, yet again, above). I did not have enough tow time with the truck to have any idea what the engine/tranny/axle combo could/would do. In fact, much to the dismay of my wife, I told her to expect a new diesel Ram upon arrival here in FL (I tried to make her smile but she just wouldn't since I bought this one the last day of last year). But to my surprise, and her extreme joy, I was pleased with the trip.

Left TX with a 30mph front quartering wind. The truck pulled OK (not great like a diesel but not struggling). What it did do that worried the heck out of me was suck gas at a phenomenal rate. I had to work to stay above 7mpg avg. Told DW with such a small tank we might have to stop at every town we passed and add an hour or 2 to our projected ETA. In fact though we managed to stop at every established gas stop (determined over years of making this trip) we had for the entire trip. The wind let up (not gone) after the first day and towing was actually fun and worries gone.

The 8 speed and 4.10 make a remarkable combo for the gas option. Pulling much more weight it actually strained much less. It was always able to find a hole that kept the rpm's contained and steady. Sustaining speed up and down the hills of E TX and beyond it just strummed along; again, not like a diesel but nothing like I feared - in fact a huge relief and wonderful, pleasant surprise. After the first day wind subsided (some) I averaged between 8-9 mpg; about the same as the 3/4 did with the smaller trailer. 3500 rpm was the highest I hit and that was on the longest, sustained grade (or 3) we hit. I hit 3500 several times with the other combo.

I waited for this combo, looked all over the place to find one before buying it in FL and I can truthfully say that it was worth the wait. I figure I'm running 13k or so but have no problem thinking of running that up to 14k if required (but won't - I can't imagine what I'd be throwing in).

The 1 ton vs 3/4 ton I'm not sure what you gain other than the higher payload on the sticker. As far as squat, it does squat with the pin weight. Not terribly nor much more than the 3/4 did with the bumper pull (about 1500 less than the pin estimate on the 1 ton). I do like all the goo gahs (I think) of the Laramie package but dislike the 12 inch screen for all the info. Great for seeing the nav but all the controls are lost and almost illegible. DW has to find the right buttons and activate them because it takes too much time and diversion of attention to try to find them.

All in all I'm very happy; happy with the way it pulled; happy DW is happy with me; and happy to not have to spend another 80k plus to get a diesel to pull her washer and dryer....whoops! said it again...
The 12” screen act’s just like a tablet, you can drag the app’s to the bottom of the screen so you can easily access them. When you change seasons you can just hit the resets button and move the new app’s you want down to the bottom of your screen again. Sorry that your salesman didn’t show you all the tricks you can do with that system. It’s really cool if you know how to use it correctly. Scott
Scooter1044 is offline   Reply With Quote