View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 04:14 AM   #22
TYHLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
In NYS you’re required to have an R endorsement to your driver’s license if the combined GVWR is over 26,000#. Most states have some requirement and you’re legal in all states if you’re legal in your home state.
This mistake is made very often. While fortunately I know nothing about NY, I do know about CDL and DOT.

The rules for CDL are if the trailer that is being towed has a capacity of greater than 10k lbs and is being used in COMMERCIAL venture, then a CDL is required. The same holds true for the magical 26k number. CDL is required when exceeding 26k in a COMMERCIAL venture.

My camper is well beyond the 10k limit but because it is not used commercially a CDL is not required.

I will be one of the first to admit that when pulling campers that are beyond either of aforementioned limits probably should require a CDL.

Many of us have seen HUGE camping rigs on the road where the driver was well beyond their skill set. Not saying that the CDL would help but at least it would make the drivers of these rigs more aware of what they are getting into.