View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #40
glendar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Weights are an ongoing subject of discussion and rightfully so. Discussions around the comments of "the dealer" said it would be OK; the "salesman" said it would be OK abound. As most should know, those folks are there to sell you something….not determine if you, or your vehicle, are qualified to carry a specific load.

Case in point; spent the morning/afternoon looking at various 5th wheels. Asked for a seasoned salesman I knew. Low key; very knowledgeable about the RVs, straightforward and honest. I told him that weight was a consideration because I was going to buy a new truck predicated on the trailer we chose, if any. As we discussed various units the number he threw out for weight was the dry weight...every time. I told him my current payload, what I figured for pin weight and that it would be based off of gvw - and THAT would determine what I bought for a truck....as should everyone else.

I spent several hours there and I asked, everytime, what the gvw was because he recited the dry weight every time. As we went here and there I talked to him pretty much constantly about the importance of weights and not trying to steer folks to units that were too big. I showed him the stickers, gvw and axle ratings and how that related to the tow truck ratings for payload and gvw...on the door.. He's generally their top salesman and has been there longer than the others. The conversations we had were a first for him...he was indoctrinated to sell...using a "selling" number. Super nice guy; very open to listening to what I was saying. I asked him to keep the numbers I mentioned in mind when talking to potential customers and he said he would - I think he will.

A story from today to just illustrate to anyone that thinks the "salesman" said it was OK....is OK. As well intentioned as they may be, they have "their" agenda...as a buyer you should have yours - the safety of your family. Sometimes at odds with the salesmans idea of "taking care of you". Just food for thought.
I agree, I did go to Joe Cotton Ford and did talk to the sale Manger as we wanted to but a truck to pull 29 for cougar red and gave him all the numbers on the unit, pin weight and hitch weights water and the rest. He came up with a f250 king ranch diesel. After singing the paper work and getting the truck, which is a great truck but not good for what we bought it for, we could see the payload for that truck which is only 2085 lbs. every other weights would work but not payload. And no way we could have gotten the payload as all you can get is what the dealer states. That being said dealer should have to make it right. But just told that the truck can PULl that trailer. How gets ticket for overload? There needs to be some training for the sale people and fins or something if they sell you something that is illegal to drive on road. I know there are many people out there in the same boat as we are but we did invest a lot of money in this truck and are not stuck with what we ask for and only way around it to look for pull trailer. I will say this we have gone to shows were sale people don’t even know what pin weight is just like the Sale Manger at Joe Cotton Ford, and Ford says the people are trained on trailer weights. They must sweep through it. We need to find a way to fix this problem
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote