View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=mtofell;333514]I get all this and don't disagree but would point out that just because you are towing at a GVWR of 9,990# doesn't mean you are immune from any legal action. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a case where the ambulance chasing attorney gave up just because the alleged negligent driver was under GVWR. If you are in a crash and at fault in any way these days you are going to get a crap storm of lawsuits no matter what you were driving. This is good support for having A LOT of insurance.

And before anyone plays the armchair insurance company card, yes, you will be covered, even if you are overweight. In general, insurance companies must prove that you were trying to defraud them before they can deny coverage. Of course, this is a topic for a whole other thread.

The reality in all of this is that there are no absolutes. It just all gets sorted out in the courts (with attorneys being the only guaranteed winners the entire way).[

My takeaway from your comments is that "to heck with weights, laws etc.". The bigger statement is " if you are in a crash and found AT FAULT in any way you are going to get a crap storm or lawsuits" undermining everything you say. Follow the laws and weight limitations you aren't "at fault" for those liabilities which you seem to support ignoring.? Long story short, IMO, you are encouraging irresponsible behavior based on nothing more than your opinion that you won't get caught, if you do it doesn't matter, your illegal activities don't warrant scrutiny because you don't think they're important....and, the regulations/laws don't really mean anything to you. I'm not thinking a lot of judges or juries are going to think your interpretations are "cool"...but, give it a whirl and see where you land....just don't land in W TX.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote