View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #29
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
That's easier said, than done. On my '18 GMC the fill tube on the firewall is surrounded by a small box maybe 3x3 inch and a half inch tall. That's the entire overfill catch basin. The DEF/jug fill tube is the exact size dia. of the fill hole, such that no air can enter or exit the fill hole. The fill tube that comes with the DEF is an easy inch in diameter, probably more, and about 16 inches long. When you tip the jug up you get a solid column of liquid. If the tank and tank fill tube becomes full, then the jug's fill tube is also full right back up into the jug. There's no way to remove the jug fill tube without spilling most of its contents all over the firewall and everything on it.

Given that, I think it's easier to add either a 2.5 gal jug, or drive a little further so you can safely add two of the 2.5 gallon jugs. But it is a guessing game. And with all the technology we have, it shouldn't be.

Just my 2 cents

Mike
1. I'm sorry that GM put the full tube in an inaccessible location.

2. I've never put more than or less than two and a half gallons in my tank at any point since the inception of the system.

3. Ford actually sells a fill tube with a burp vent, wonder if GM might have the same available.