View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #28
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just like your fuel tank... pour it in until it gurgles or burps... put the cap back on and rinse any spillage off the surrounding metal and painted surfaces..
That's easier said, than done. On my '18 GMC the fill tube on the firewall is surrounded by a small box maybe 3x3 inch and a half inch tall. That's the entire overfill catch basin. The DEF/jug fill tube is the exact size dia. of the fill hole, such that no air can enter or exit the fill hole. The fill tube that comes with the DEF is an easy inch in diameter, probably more, and about 16 inches long. When you tip the jug up you get a solid column of liquid. If the tank and tank fill tube becomes full, then the jug's fill tube is also full right back up into the jug. There's no way to remove the jug fill tube without spilling most of its contents all over the firewall and everything on it.

Given that, I think it's easier to add either a 2.5 gal jug, or drive a little further so you can safely add two of the 2.5 gallon jugs. But it is a guessing game. And with all the technology we have, it shouldn't be.

Just my 2 cents
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote