View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Just to "add insult to injury" about what a vehicle computer shows, I had my new Slingshot in for routine maintenance today. The service writer and I were chatting when the mechanic came up with the paperwork for my bill. He commented to me, "So, you had it up to 96 MPH, how'd it run?" I asked him how he knew, he showed me the vehicle data report that he pulled from the computer using the Polaris Digital Wrench. I'd strongly suspect that if Polaris has the capability to know how fast I drove my Slingshot, what day and what time the event occurred and document all the vehicle "sensor information" for that moment in time, it's a sure thing that they can identify every time the computer software is overwritten. After all, if you go to Windows Explorer on any PC, select the "details tab", it'll show you when the computer file was last modified. If that "mod date" is not the same as the last time the auto manufacturer last accessed and overwrote the file, it's a "sure sign" that someone else has been "tinkering with the vehicle software"....

If Polaris can do that, it would be a "far stretch" to think that Ford, GM and Chrysler don't have the capability to monitor the same types of data. So, I pulled out my 2015 Ford SuperDuty Owner's Manual, and right there on page 9 is this:
"DATA RECORDING
Service Data Recording
Service data recorders in your vehicle are capable of collecting and storing
diagnostic information about your vehicle. This potentially includes information about the performance or status of various systems and modules in the vehicle, such as engine, throttle, steering or brake systems. In order to properly diagnose and service your vehicle, Ford Motor Company, Ford of Canada, and service and repair facilities may access or share among them vehicle diagnostic information received through a direct connection to your vehicle when diagnosing or servicing your vehicle. Additionally, when your vehicle is in for service or repair, Ford Motor Company, Ford of Canada, and service and repair facilities may access or share among them data for vehicle improvement purposes. For U.S. only (if equipped), if you choose to use the SYNC Vehicle Health Report, you consent that certain diagnostic information may also be accessed electronically by Ford Motor Company and Ford authorized service facilities, and that the diagnostic information may be used for any purpose. See SYNC™ (page 323)."

Ain't technology wunnerful ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote