Thread: TV Upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I want to clarify the "literal vs figurative" statements being made. First, the RAM 2500, properly equipped, is a very good tow vehicle. Whether you choose gas (HEMI) or diesel power, you'll get significantly better stability than with your Ford F150. That said, it is not possible to tow a 6100 pound, 30 foot long trailer with a GVW of 7800 pounds and "literally" not know it there... AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

You're still going to be affected by side winds, head winds, passing trucks, highway "bounce", slowed braking when towing, significantly reduced acceleration when towing and the regular "gamut" of "I know I've got an extra 7000 pounds behind me" that all of us face. Don't think for a second that your new RAM will perform similarly whether the trailer is at home or behind the truck.

You'll still need to plan spacing between vehicles, start stopping earlier than when "solo", allow time to accelerate into merging traffic and keep a watchful eye on traffic that ignores the physics of trying to control 15000 pounds "barreling down the highway" at 65 MPH. Stay safe, enjoy your new tow vehicle and trailer, but remember:

You're going to know it's there !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote