Thread: TV Upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmak View Post
Currently pulling my Cougar XLite 26RBI TT with a F150 Ecoboost and about to pull the trigger on a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 with 6.4 gasser. Up for input on pros and cons. Diesel is not an option at the extra $9k cost.
Last week, I bought the exact truck you're questioning in the Mega cab configuration. It was an upgrade from an 08 Yukon Xl Denali. My thoughts:

Ram has by far the nicest of the HD trucks interiors. Very quiet inside with just a subtle audible from the Hemi's exhaust note. It has the best overall infotainment center with controls centered on that big 9" screen for just about everything.

The ride will be much more unforgiving than your 1/2 ton. It rides like a real truck, especially when empty. When hitched up to my trailer, the truck is more planted and less bouncy. It's going to take some time for us to get used to the rigid ride. I couldn't imagine what a 1 ton dually would feel like driving empty. If you're never going to pull a big 5th wheel or TH, a 1 ton truck is overkill and excessive, for you and your bone rattled passengers.

The newest generation Hemi has been around for a while as for this itiration of RAM HD trucks (going on 9 years I believe). The abundance of late model RAMs in the Detroit area is astounding. Even after my warranty is up, service on the RAM will never be a problem and neither will obtaining parts for it.

Several other points, one of which was already made clear. The Cummins/Aisin upgrade is an expensive one that would only be justifiable if your pulling heavy trailers over long distance up significant altitudes. Racing up the Eisenhower Pass on I-70 on a regular basis with 12,000 lbs in tow would not be something I would ever do so the diesel is a no go for me. YMMV.

Overall, the 3/4 ton had been a welcome addition to our family. My wife still likes the air ride of the Denali. I passed up a GM employee discount on a HD Sierra to go with the Ram primarily due to the enormous space in the 2nd row and the stylings of the interior. My relatively loaded Lariame trim offered so much value to us than a comparatively priced GM product.

Now I have to figure out a way to satisfy the DW and tame the unloaded truck's suspension, outside of running the tires below the Psi recommended on the OEM placard.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote