View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #37
bsmith0404

Re: Most important options for new 350 or 3500

Interesting. I know as transporters they wanted us to be registered at 26k to avoid the federal fuel tax regulations. I met a few from CA with 350/3500 duallies that did not have commercial plates. If they had been registered as a commercial vehicle they would have to have an IFTA license since they were transporting RVs not for personal use. I haven't looked into the CA laws or the laws of every state out there, but it does make me wonder how some with a dually being used commercially can get away with a 26k plate and how others using them for personal are having to register commercially....makes me think it is how/what is said at the DMV.

*Edit: I just read a bunch of stuff on the CA laws and I don't see why a 350/3500 would need to be registered as a commercial vehicle. Pickups with an unladen weight less than 8,000 lbs are not affected by commercial vehicle registration act. An F450 may exceed the 8,000 lb since the 350s are getting close to that. As for the license, it depends on the GVWR of the trailer if a class C or non commercial class A is required. I've seen it happen more than once where the people at the DMV don't know all the rules/laws or the owner doesn't do their homework and doesn't do a good job of explaining their situation. It's also possible that I may have missed something since I only spent about 20 minutes looking up the info.

This is just for discussion purposes though since the OP is from SC, but it's good discussion to show that everyone needs to do their homework for their state to make sure they have the correct license and the correct vehicle registration. We've had these discussions in other threads as well, but it's always good to revisit things like this for new members.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote