Thread: Chevy 2500hd
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the Montana 3000RE specs, the empty pin weight is 2300. Add propane, a couple of batteries and you're up to about 2450. The washer/dryer 'built in space" in in the front closet, so option for a second A/C in the bedroom and the washer/dryer and you're going to be pushing 3000 pounds of pin weight with the "empty" trailer. Add clothes, camping/travelling equipment, food and the necessary tools, etc to the trailer and you're going to be pushing well above that 3000 pounds of pin weight.

We haven't even talked about the cargo/hitch weight in the truck. Any fifth wheel hitch you buy will add 150 pounds or so, get a sliding hitch (you've heard the short bed horror stories) and you're adding another 100 pounds to the mix and still don't have an ice chest or family in the truck yet....

Will a 250/2500 tow the trailer? Heck yes, will it keep you from getting a ticket if you get stopped for a safety check? you be the judge..... You're going to be "over your GVW and likely at or possibly over your RAWR when "loaded for travel".....

I tow with a 2015 F250 diesel, payload is rated at 2000 pounds, I tow a Cougar XLite 27RKS with an "advertised pin weight" of 1230 pounds. When loaded with a Curt 16K non-sliding hitch (125 lbs) and gear for an "extended trip" I'm at my GVW and the trailer pin weight is pushing 1500-1700 pounds. The truck "pulls" the trailer with absolute ease, heck I could (and do) add another 2500 pounds of boat behind the trailer and it still doesn't break a sweat. But, if I should happen to get stopped for a "courtesy safety check", I'm going to be "sweating profusely". With full camping gear, I'm pushing my GVW "right to the limit".... If I had another 1000 pounds of empty pin weight, I'd be significantly over GVW as you'll find your truck will be given that trailer and a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote