View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

I've had vehicles with aluminum skin and don't know that it ever made any difference that I recall - especially with the light gauges of steel they use on vehicle bodies nowadays. Of course I treat all my vehicles very well.

My concern for the aluminum truck bed would be just how tough it actually is. Obviously if I drop a 400lb square object into either bed it's going to put a hole in it, but, the toolbox in the video is another story. Maybe it was rigged, maybe not, but it's something to think about. I don't do heavy duty stuff with my trucks anymore other than maybe put a fridge or something like that in it. I have dented a steel bed before but nothing bad and certainly nothing near penetrating it.

As some have observed, if you take good care of your truck and you're not in an industrial environment it probably is a moot point. I would worry about anyone trying to drill a hole thru the bed then use that as some sort of anchor point for heavy objects....but then again, I worry about most everything.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote