View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
According to Ford, in 2015 when they introduced the "aluminum F150" the use of aluminum reduced vehicle weight about 700 pounds, most of which was "invested in payload increases"... The truck frame and running gear was pretty much "left alone"...

In the "aluminum SuperDuty", there will be close to the same "weight reduction" with the aluminum body panels, but much of that weight savings is being "reinvested" in a heavier frame and some running gear modifications, so the payload won't increase as dramatically as we've seen in the F150 line. It looks to me from the limited reports I've seen, that Ford's payloads will only increase to be "somewhere close" to GM and Chrysler's current payload ratings.

Some reports indicate that Ford is "satisfied" with payload, towing capacity and performance, and felt the extra weight savings would be better served with reinvesting it in a "stronger vehicle"... http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...mpaign=content

As for aluminum panels being "not as strong" or "more puncture prone", if you think about the skin of most aircraft that travel 500+ MPH through thunderstorms and rain/sleet/hail..... Good old "Mil Std .032" aluminum panels on the wings of fighter aircraft "manage to hold together" at 1200+ MPH. I wouldn't sell "military grade" aluminum short because of a competitor's advertisement...

Yup, I'm a Ford guy, so this is probably a "biased" comment, but hopefully not perceived as a "negative" comment toward any other vehicle brand.
Rain, sleet, hail impact on an aircraft structure doesn't compare to the highlighted damage of a ~40# toolbox being dropped into the bed of an aluminum pickup. The damage done is more like said aircraft impacting a bird inflight, and heavy hail has been known to cause severe damage to aircraft. All aircraft, including fighters, avoid severe weather and impact with anything heavier than rain or light hail. Aluminum skinned aircraft have integrity designed into their structure for the purpose of flight not for the same purpose designed into pickups. Some of the cargo aircraft I flew had floor liners for increased structural integrity to protect the aluminum cargo floor when non-palletized bulk cargo was loaded. Zone floor loading weight restrictions existed, also.

Having said that, this aluminum bed will be popular with the non-work truck crowd as a grocery getter or recreational tow vehicle. My bed, for example, doesn't have a dent in it, even before it was Rhino lined. I use it, but I don't abuse it. I could probably deal with having an aluminum bed. The contractors I know are different animals. I can foresee the hardcore Ford guys laying down steel plate or plywood (the original bed liner) to ensure longevity. The flatbed guys just don't care as they replace their beds buying steel flatbeds instead of aluminum because of the cost.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote