View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #45
AussieCanadian

Hi folks,

Back after digging the trailer out of snow, loading it, and taking it for a 60M/100KM tour at highway speeds. Short story - it went well! Very well.

Firstly - the 1500 is very capable and handles the load with ease (at least it felt so). Coming from my F150 which I had all kinds of handling issues with when towing, the RAM's coil suspension seems to provide a lot more lateral stability when towing. Impressive.

The weights... so, all hitched up, full tank of gas (I have the 32Gal / 121L option), family in the truck, WD hitch with trailer attached, my GVWR (with nothing in the bed, but some cargo in the truck cab) came in at 6,950lbs. Yep, just 50lbs over GVWR. I'm now thinking I could move stuff around in the trailer a little, and net the extra 50lbs gain, and be under. Actually, if you think about it - once I drive a bit, the Hemi will burn through 1/4 tank of gas, which is about 50lbs also. Heck, I could lose 50lbs from my own self and net that weight... there's an incentive!

All in all - it was a solid tow test. I think I may have saved myself $10k on a HD, at least for now. If we upgrade our TT (maybe to a 5er), i'll upgrade the truck then, but I think for now - it's happy camping

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this post - it's been truely helpful
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote