View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You're correct. In most cases anymore the engine can pull the load - just look at the max towing for all these trucks. The caveat is the payload. Over the past several years the Big 3 have been in a battle for the towing crown. Frames keep getting bigger/beefier, springs keep getting bigger along with every other chassis component. They have made a concerted effort to raise payloads because they knew it was a limitation. A new Ram 1500 can have up to 1600lbs of payload compared to your 250's 1800lbs - almost the same. My 2500 has a payload north of 3100lbs and they go up to almost 4000lbs. Big difference from the older trucks.

Pulling the trailer and pulling it safely are two different things. The newer trucks have bigger anti sway bars, electronic anti sway, bigger brakes etc. I know others pull overloaded; I see it all the time as do you. I never pulled overloaded but I pulled at the max for my 2012 Ram 1500. I knew the truck was not prepared for any kind of emergency situation. I couldn't put my wife, myself, pup or other innocent folks in harms way due to my negligence. That's just me.

Another thought: Why do you want a 5th wheel? They have some benefits but there are very nice TTs out there that provide nearly everything a 5ver does. Less weight, same amenities and something your truck won't have a problem with.

I'm just looking into the future of what me and dear wifey want, I'd like a 5th wheel too make towing easier puting some of the length over the truck. I've found a few TT that have the floor plan we like but they are over 30+ft

We are not buying right away so we are just testing the water so too speak, we have a RV show coming up here in Atlanta in a few weeks we are going too try and go.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote