View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
ls1mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J 88 View Post
I didn't know if I was expecting too much of the truck or not. But it's not even hot weather yet. I do realize the temp should go up on a hard pull. I am pleased to say it does cool right on down after we level off. I've not had a truck with electric fans only before so I'm learning.
I do not know the grade of those hills I climbed but I did slow down and pull them in 2nd gear. It was maybe 1/4 of a mile on the steeper one.
But towing down the highway at 55 and rpms about 2600 in drive it cools just fine. I do use the tow/haul mode.
This 5er is about twice the weight of the last bumper pull camper so I expected more tug on the truck for sure but this 5er sure pulls nice.
I'll spray the condenser and radiator fins out just in case. The coolant is less than a year old as well as the radiator cap.
So you guys believe my truck should pull this 5er just fine as is without getting too hot? How hot is too hot?
I can't tell you until you put a scanner on it. If you are getting over 240 in an LS based motor, your 5.3, you should back off. Do you have a tranny temp gauge? I would be more concerned about that. 230-235 in an LS motor pulling a hill is no big deal.
What is it about 6000 lbs?

2000 Trans Am WS6 11 seconds of 1/4 mile goodness.
The rest of the cars don't matter.
ls1mike is offline   Reply With Quote