View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The replies above point out some additional great thoughts. In AR there are a lot of bugs. If you run much at highway speeds your radiator may be clogged with them...it has to be clean; a pressure washer works great.

If you have a towing package on the truck you may already have an aux transmission cooler; if not you should install one. Not very costly and easy to do. If it does have an OE you may want to just change it out "because".

Changing the radiator cap will usually help, and is cheap, but don't do that until you know all the rest is in good shape. It can still cover up issues. A new cap can't overcome poor circulation or bad coolant. I think your truck, if equipped properly (cooling components) should pull the trailer without big heating issues. I will say that after replacing EVERY cooling component on my Jeep CJ7 (and the engine) that I still had to go to a lower thermostat to deal with 100+ temps. Downside is that I keep it in the mountains and when fall comes I have to pull it out and put the normal 190(195?) degree in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote