View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I’m a cheapo, have always done my own work. Bought our house in 2000, shake roof. I replaced by myself in 2 weeks with sheathing/paper and shingles. City inspector spent 45 minutes doing the final and complained he couldn’t find anything to fail me. It’s the ONLY roof I intend on doing in my lifetime. Working on these rolling pieces of junk is a breeze.

Roofs! My dad was a cheapo along with me 50 plus years ago. Had a bad hail storm and he decided he would take the insurance money, do his own roof and pocket the difference. He loved it then recruited me and I recruited DW. to do ours...then we did a few others (5 total I believe) Learned to roof from stem to stern and liked the extra pocket money...but I was young and had zero money. DW was afraid of heights so she scooted on her rear all over the roofs helping. I kept a couple of pairs of those jeans with the bottoms completely worn through; told her I was keeping them to see if I could match them to "butt tracks" on any of those roofs. Did a couple more through the years but I would never do another one again. I could put a square of shingles (3 packs) on my shoulder and carry them to the roof on a ladder all day long back then, now I figure just picking up a bundle and looking at a ladder would send me to the ER.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote