View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 01:55 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OremPhelyn View Post
Driving a 2001 Yukon Denali 1500 XL towing capacity 8,000 lbs; towing 2017 Springdale SG 202QBWE dry weight 4,282 GVWR 6,500 lbs; seems like I might need some suspension support.

One shop recommended bump stops -- rubber spring; inside coil spring mount; 6,000 lb weight capacity, AEON hollow rubber ($300)

Another shop could only find the Airlift 60769, for up to 1,000 lbs. of load-leveling capacity. Unsure who to believe. Anyone have any expert input?
Brian, Welcome to the forum. There is so much not know regarding your request for information that I doubt anyone could give you a definitive answer. How many folks do you have in the SUV for total weight? Say 350 lbs conservatively. I am guessing there may be some kids? In any case, add the stuff in your SUV plus the weight of your hitch so you are about 500 lbs. Add to the 845 lbs tongue weight of your camper based on the gross weight. The "towing capaicty" makes no difference but your payload does. I am pretty sure a 2001 will not have a payload placard in the driver door frame but am guess you will be 1300 lbs total and you may not have enough payload to safely pull that camper.

Won't make any difference what suspenion mods you undertake if your payload is insufficient. You should probably take your SUV & camper to a weigh station and get some weights and see real numbers. Basic suspension components may not be as robust as when they were new over 20 years ago. Suspect you are using a SUV as you may have kids? Just be safe. Guestimates are just that but typically a bumper pull camper has about 13 percent of its gross weight on the tongue. Making some real measurements may give you some peace of mind. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote