View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Here's the deal...

We've answered and discussed this bumper issue (and many others) in great detail in several threads and not so very long ago. All of the facts and information are already here for the instant reading. No need to ask the question, just use the search function and read all the good information. No time delay, instant answers, even at zero dawn thirty..

Let me ask you a question back. How many times do you think we should answer the same exact question? What's reasonable? Twice, ten times, 20 times?

I take a lot of time out of my day nearly every day to spend time in this forum helping people. So do quite a few others. My answers are detailed and usually in great depth. I don't argue with people and I try to treat everyone respectfully.

In return, I have this silly expectation that folks will look around a bit and get the lay of the land before asking a question or starting a new thread. I think it is unfair to those of us who offer this help to start a new thread on the exact same topic that is already being currently discussed in another thread. I don't think it's too much to ask that folks use the search function and see if their issue has already been discussed. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that folks at least look at the other current discussions first before asking a question.

On many, many forums across the internet, it is considered impolite or even down right rude to not use the search function before asking a question. On some forums, it will get you banned if you do it more than once. I don't want this forum to ever end up like that. This is too friendly a group to play that game.

So I seek a middle ground. When I know that a topic has been well and truly discussed and answered, I try to steer the user to the search function. But many times, it's something new or different and I jump right in with both feet to help. You should have seen enough of my posts to know that by now. Several other senior users are the same way.
My thoughts are that there are very few topics that haven't already been discussed on the forum at one time or another and if all everyone did was to go to the search and look up old info there would be no reason to even have the forum. Part of the reason for the forum is to help each other out but the main reason I come here is to share ideas and to have fun.

The other reason I don't like always using the search is that there are always new members with new ideas and updated info. If all we do is use the search all we will ever get is old info and there is never a chance for the new info or new ideas to be brought forward. I do think that there might be some topics that the search might be helpful but not all.

I would think that if you have nothing new to add to a topic and feel that you have already given all the info you have to offer then just don't go there. Just skip it and let other that think they might have something to offer go there instead.