View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackmanbfa View Post
Why not just answer the request instead of referring people to other posts? Is that because you do not have the time or you do not know the answer? THESE PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"boun cey:
Let me draw an analogy that might put this in a better light for the new folks and for those that think we are being lazy or pressed for time....

When you go into a library, you're expected to use the card catalog or computer to look up a book or a topic or an author. If you feel you're "special" and just go to the desk and ask, usually the nice person there will politely steer you right back to the card catalog or computer. If your book is listed but not on the shelf, it is then very reasonable to go to the desk and ask if perhaps the book has been returned and is just waiting to be returned to the shelf. It is not reasonable to go to the desk and demand that the person there look up the book for you because you don't want to do that for yourself. It is also very unreasonable for you to expect the desk person to go look for your book if you have not first been down that aisle and looked for the book yourself. If you have a problem that is outside of this basic, common sense use of the library, the desk folks will bend over backwards to help you.

Festus, John, Hank, and others (including me) are all volunteer desk persons at this Keystone library. None of us get paid for our efforts. I do not think it at all unreasonable for us to expect folks to first look around and see what's already being discussed at the moment. I also think it is totally reasonable to ask people to first use the card catalog (search function) before asking for help on a specific topic.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote