View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
twstdpear

Assuming you're talking about a slide topper, our sales person recommended against one for two reasons:

1) they put added stress on the power slide mechanism, and you may experience issues with the slide mechanism
2) the springs weaken and the awning material stretches unevenly over time causing other issues (e.g., pooling water, flapping).

I'm not 100% sure I agree with his view, but we had one installed on our previous HTT and I can say that we did experience the water pooling.

We also had almost all of the lag bolts work loose and had some fall out on the power slide mechanism causing issues with extending and retracting the slide. I can't positively attribute it to the slide topper or not. I will say they only put in about half of the bolts and smaller ones than I would have put in, though, so either the lack of bolts and/or the extra tension was to blame.

That said, to your actual question, they don't look too difficult to add if you have good automotive and mechanical skills.

Given some of the issues I had on the last camper, I decided not to get one this time. The only issue so far is that I need to get up and make sure it's brushed off before retracting it.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote