View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
Paddler

The Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-i-zer (tm) will allow you safely pull about 6 more feet of trailer than your wheelbase would normally allow. I pulled our previous tt (35 foot) with an 06 Sierra 1500 CC SB using the Equal-i-zer (tm) hitch setup and never had a white knuckle moment. I did feel the trailer push/pull when a semi zoomed past but that is something you just get used to.

If a larger truck is out of the question for now, I would suggest going to the Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer (tm) hitch. Adding a second friction lock on your current hitch is a waste of money in my opinion.

Another thing to consider is how well is the trailer/truck leveled? They should be level or the trailer nose slightly lower than the truck. Also how is the weight distributed through out the trailer? Do you have 12-15% of the total trailer weight on the hitch? If not, find ways to lighten the weight at the rear of the trailer. (empty or nearly empty fresh water tank if located behind trailer wheels)

Reduce your speed! I generally tow at 58 mph. Better fuel economy, relaxed ride.

Hope you find an inexpensive fix to your sway issues,